LISS (as defined by the DDA) is a statewide program for which the Maryland Developmental Disabilities Administration (DDA) contracts with Family and Individual Support Services (FISS) agencies, located regionally, to fairly serve and meet the needs and diversity of individuals with developmental disabilities. LISS funding shall not be limited to one age group or developmental disability.
LISS are flexible, dynamic, and adaptable to the needs of the individual, designed to make use of community resources, building on the individual’s existing support network, while providing a short-term solution for a problem presented by an individual eligible for Department services. LISS are preventative in nature, creative, flexible, responsive and time-limited to assist children and adults with developmental disabilities to improve their quality of life, remain in their own homes, increase or maintain independence and participate in their communities.
LISS can assist an individual, and/or their family with low level, easy access, and short term supports to avoid a crisis situation. Generally, low level supports can be provided for less than $3,000 annually and although individuals are eligible to apply for funding up to $3,000, there is no guarantee that funding is available. Individuals request LISS services directly through the contacted agency. The contractor makes funding available on a “first-come, first-served” basis.
LISS providers will determine eligibility, explore optional community services and supports, procure tangible item (s) and/or arrange services, and maintain accurate documentation according to general accounting practices, and federal and State laws and regulations.
- Be a Maryland Resident - Be a verified resident of Maryland (COMAR 0.22.12.05)
- Have a Developmental Disability—The individual appears to have a developmental disability, or does not appear to have a developmental disability, but may be eligible for individual support services in accordance with Health-General Article, 7-403 ©, Annotated Code of Maryland (COMAR 10.22.12.05)
- Currently not receiving any DDA funded residential services with the exception of Resource Coordination.
Note: Individuals enrolled in a Medicaid waiver program (i.e. Autism Waiver, Living at home, etc.) and children within the Maryland school system should have their needs met by that service system.
- Click here for the LISS Application
- LISS Application Instruction Sheet
- LISS FAQs Sheet
- Click Here for additional provider agencies
9380 Gerwig Lane
Columbia, Maryland 21046
Provider Agencies (click here)
Humanim serves the Central Region. A representative of the Agency is available between the hours of 8:30AM to 5:00 P.M., Monday through Friday, except state holidays. All calls will be returned within one working day from the time the message is recorded. Click here for a complete list of providers.